Thursday, February 23, 2006

 
Here's to a Bright Guilty World!

The Minders are another band of the Elephant Six Collective, formed by Martyn Leaper and Robert Schneider (of the Apples in Stereo) in 1995. Their early records showed an insane amount of potential, particularly "Hooray For Tuesday" and "Cul-de-Sacs and Dead Ends." They even set records for Elephant Six regarding their first week sales (or something like that, I forget the exact record). The Minders have suffered some lineup changes through the years that have prevented them from releasing that many albums, but they have created some pop gems. Their last album, The Future Is Always Perfect, was released in 2003 on Future Farmer Records. Thier other full lengths include "Hooray for Tuesday", released in 1998 on spinART Records (reissue in 2004 on Future Farmer), "Golden Street", released in 2001 on spinART, and "Cul-de-Sacs and Dead Ends". But regardless, I was just at Newbury Comics in Boston about a year ago, and I was really into the Apples in Stereo at that point, and knew that the Minders were somehow affiliated with them, so I took a chance and bought the Minders' "Hooray for Tuesday". I don't think it left my cd player for the next month or so. In fact I played it so excessively that I didn't listen to it again until I pulled it out about a week ago. I have to say, it's probably the catchiest album I've ever heard. They cram more hooks in 30 minutes than I thought possible. There's not really one bad track at all and Robert Schneider's production is impeccable, but I warn you, if you do overplay it, the album's so sweet that you might get tired of it like I did. The album I have is a reissue so it has the 12 cd tracks and then 4 bonus songs that are just alternative takes of songs featured, which I didn't care for that much, but I included them anyways. Enjoy:

http://rapidshare.de/files/13985957/Hooray_for_Tuesday__Bonus_Tracks_.rar.html

Another reason I decided to post on the is that I visited their forum on Elephant Six Townhall and to my delight, I saw that Rebecca from the Minders has recently made a post marked "album news". Here's what she wrote:

"Hi everyone, just wanted to say that the record is complete and we are just finishing up with cover art. The album is called Bright Guilty World - here's the track listing -

there goes my formula
don't you stop
red admiral ('s gonna pass me)
accidental joycrest of the hill
same time same place
savor all these days
jennyin the middle of your love
saturday morning (i feel fine)
remember remember
357
glittering dream
oh look oh look

release date is july 18 on future farmer. be there! we'll be playing this summer in a town near you, i'll post dates as soon as we have them confirmed.
thanks! rebecca"

So the concept of 12 new Minders tracks definitely brightened my day. Actually 11. Their song "Don't You Stop" is on the Magic Marker compilation "A House Full of Friends" I bought and I think it's one of their better songs. I'll try to upload the song later to satisfy your anticipation of the new album.

You can buy Minders albums at their website where you can find a more detailed discography and biography, and also stream tracks off their most recent album. Or you can buy them here at Amazon.

I should be back later with some MP3's so check back.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?