Tuesday, February 21, 2006

 
So like a month or so ago, I got really excited because I saw that one of my favorite bands of 2005, Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin, was stopping along their midwinter tour at a place in New Haven along with another band I hadn't yet heard: Catfish Haven. So anyways, I soon discovered that the show was at a bar nightclub and me being only 15 and all eliminated that possibility. I was considering getting a fake moustache at the time. It probably would have been wiser to get a fake ID. Anyways, I decided today'd be a nice double feature with these two bands.

Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin

Initially, I didn't expect that I'd really like this band that every one was raving so much about. (eg CHYSY) But I downloaded their album Broom, which you can order off their site, and although this band may rival Clap Your Hands Say Whatever as worst band name of the year, I was delightfully surprised by their music. It's 10 songs and just about half an hour in length, but each song is wonderful. Easily one of the best albums of 2005, regardless of what Pitchfork says, who gave them only a 6.9.

Highlights Include: Download the album! The whole damn album's a highlight. But if I had to pick, my favorite song's the ninth track, "Anne Elephant".

Here you can download their debut masterpiece Broom.

You can also download their live acoustic song called "Accident" at their site. Or here too, why not.

Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin-Accident

And now on to Catfish Haven:

Even though I didn't end up going to that concert, I gained the pleasure of discovering the band Catfish Haven who just released an EP entitled "Please Come Back" on Secretly Canadian Records. They currently have 4 tracks up on their website, but they're definitely worth checking out:

Please Come Back
Madaline
Too Hungover To Headbang (my personal favorite)
Paper Thin
You Can Have Me

You can buy SSYLYBY's album here and Catfish Haven's here.

These two bands are still on tour with eachother and have only 5 shows remaining including tonights.

TUESDAY, February 21
ST. LOUIS, MO
Hi Point


WEDNESDAY, February 22
SPRINGFIELD,MO
The Outland


THURSDAY, February 23
COLUMBIA, MO
Mojo's


FRIDAY, February 24
IOWA CITY, IA
Gabe's Oasis (early show)


SATURDAY, February 25
LAWRENCE, KS
Jackpot

I'll be back with some Belle and Sebastian tomorrow, till then happy downloading.

Comments:
A 6.9 on Pitchfork is pretty good. They are too strict with their ratings. Ill check out Boris.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?