Saturday, March 18, 2006

 
The Books - Lost and Safe

It’s difficult to describe the greatness of The Books in words. Sure, I could throw out useless descriptions such as "creative" and "original", but to fully comprehend their awesomeness, you must experience it. Guitarist Nick Zammuto and cellist Paul de Jong rarely sing in their songs. Instead, they combine the guitar, cello, violin, obscure vocal samples, simple sounds, and a variety of other instruments to create a fascinating indie electronic/experimental quilt of a song. When there is singing, soft-spoken Zammuto’s vocals are mellow and beautifully quiet.

This is Lost and Safe, their third album. Give it a listen.

Lost and Safe

Please support them and buy it here.

Speaking of The Books, I just saw them live last night. HOLY SHIT. I’ve heard about how good they are live, but I didn’t expect them to be so amazing. While performing each song flawlessly, the guys also projected synchronized clips from their unconventional collection of video and film clips. The clips ranged from bizarre (footage of the early founders of the Mormon church) to heartwarming (home videos of Zammuto and his brothers as kids). Forgive me for taking such a crappy picture, but it was the best I could do. Photography wasn't allowed, and I was sitting next to an old man who kept looking over sternly at me. Whatevzzzz.

Seeing them perform live made me love them even more, which is not an easy feat, since I already love them a lot lot lot. They are touring right now, and if they’re playing in your area, I strongly urge you to go.

-emily

Comments:
strange but original and exciting stuff. But I think it needs some time to get to you.
 
nice photo. i'm planning on seeing them in a few weeks when they stop in my town. also, wondering why "footage of the early founders of the Mormon church" would be "bizarre"? check it out for your self.

http://www.ldscatalog.com/webapp/
wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?
catalogId=10151&storeId=10151&
productId=43254&langId=-1&cg1=
14138&cg2=14139&pageId=4&initBC=Y

it's really not that "bizarre" at all.

keep up the great site, by the way.
 
huh, i guess it isn't so bizarre after all. i've just never seen anything like it- sorry if i offended you.

thanks for the link and the kind words...i hope you have a great time at the show. actually, i'm pretty sure you will.
 
it doesn't work Can you refresh it?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?