Thursday, March 09, 2006

 
Neva Dinova - The Hate Yourself Change

I saw this album up in Massachusetts one day in the middle of alt. country phase. I had listened to their split EP with Bright Eyes, and I really liked it, so I ended up buying their full-length. It's not really alt. country though, it's more emo-folk.

First off let me say, there's one song on this album called "Ahh" that simply amazes me. It's one of the coolest songs ever. Jake Bellows' vocals just stretch on from the stereo into my mind, if you know what I mean. It's pretty sweet.

But the rest of the album isn't as good as that one song. They could definitely do without some of the songs that just sound the same. I mostly agree with Pitchfork on this album, but get it straight, I do enjoy listening to it. There are great songs on it like "Yellow Datsun" and the most upbeat song "A Picture in a Pocket." The album for the most part is relaxing and good to kick back and listen to, although it gets boring on a few songs like the monotonous "The Champion".

Read Pitchfork's review. I don't have that much time.

Rating: 3 11/16 out of 4

hahaah, it was somewhere in between 3 1/2 and 4

If you're into emo-folk or Saddle Creek, you'll most likely enjoy this album. An hey if you don't, you can always just delete it, right?:

I dream of murder, and you.

How sweet is that line? It's in the song "Cold Calls" on the album, it's another gem.

You can buy it here

Its 8 o'clock and I'm not at school. How sweet are teacher conferences? I'll be back with one more post today, so check back. And maybe one of the new bloggers on Serial Slingshot will make a post too. Ideally, we'll post at least 3 new albums daily. I've been trying to do that, but it's getting pretty hard.

-Sean

Comments:
thanks
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?