Sunday, March 12, 2006

 
Orange Juice - The Glasgow School

I hadn't really been all that familiar with Orange Juice before this album, so I didn't know what to expect. I know they had been pretty big influences of Belle and Sebastian and Franz Ferdinand, and that whole Scottish scene.

I thought this was a greatest hits type of compilation when I bought it, but it turned out to be a compilation of just early songs from the band. However, there's not really a bad song on it, so it might as well be a greatest hits.

I really love the instrumental "Moscow", the opener "Falling and Laughing", "Simple Thrilled Honey", "Blue Boy" (which the band Blueboy took the name after), and maybe my favorite song on the album "Wan Light".

Here's Amazon's review:
"A lovingly packaged reissue of the early singles and the entire "Ostrich Churchyard" first album, which have never been officially released in America until now. Contains 2 bonus tracks, which have never been released. This imitable band has inspired bands like The Smiths, Belle & Sebastian, Franz Ferdinand, and more."

Here's Pitchfork's Review. (Pitchfork Rating: 9.3)

An album easy to dance to. (If I was capable of actually dancing. All I can do is really either tap my foot or jump up and down.) It's essential for Orange Juice fans and I recommend downloading it if you're a dan of the bands they influenced. Overall, it was a very good introduction to the band for me and I really enjoy this cd as I hope you will too.

The Glasgow School


Buy it here.

I'm recruiting more people for this blog. I'll be back with one more post today I think.

-Sean

Comments:
thanks
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?