Wednesday, March 29, 2006

 
The Promise Ring - 30 Degrees Everywhere

First off, I just wanted to say that I'm gonna continue with the blog for now so that's good I guess.

The Promise Ring pretty much define the emo pop scene of the 90's with this album released in 1996 on Jade Tree. A lot of people are probably gonna hate this album, but I personally love it.

With handclaps, soft riffage, and amusing lyrics, the Promise Ring construct music that will make you as happy as emo possibly can. This isn't a dark album at all so you're mistaken regarding this album if you simultaneously think of boys in tight pants cutting their wrists and whatnot when you hear the word emo. It's more comforting than anything.

My favorite songs are: "Red Paint", "Picture Postcard", and I really like the last song on the album, the sole instrumental "We Don't Like Romance". This is an album that you'll come to appreciate with more listens. In fact, you may not think much of this album on first listen, but in my experience, it'll grow on you enormously. Most of these songs are build ups with that climax of pure elation. It's essential for post-emo/emo-pop/whatever-else-you-want-to-call-it fans.

The only complaint I have with this album is that sometimes the songs can sound similar and the lead singer whines through most of the songs, but it adds an emotional overtone to all of the songs, which I guess is good.

For fans of Sunny Day Real Estate, Jets to Brazil, Saves the Day, etc.

12 songs, around 36 minutes I think

Don't forget to kiss me if you're really going to leave.


Buy it here.


Well, as I said, I'm gonna keep blogging for a while. But PLEASE go out and buy the cd if you download music on here that you like. New cd prices are sometimes outrageous nowadays, and I know as a 15 year old without a job that I can't afford to go out and buy evey cd I want to hear. I'd be a few thousand dollars in debt. So yeah, I know there are others out there that want to hear new music, but don't have the money to buy everything that interests them, so I'm helping them to decide whether or not it's worth the purchase. And that's my justification. I'll be back tomorrow I hope but I have a big chem lab due Friday that I have to finish. And by finish, I mean start of course.

-Sean

Comments:
sorry. i am having trouble extracting it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?