Thursday, March 30, 2006

 
The Silver Jews - Bright Flight

How on Earth have I not done a Silver Jews post yet? It's quite amazing actually since the Jews are my favorite band ever, and probably will stay in the #1 spot for a long time.

Anyways, I know this album quite well. In fact I listened to it like 20 times in a span of two days once. I was bored and it was summer, give me a break.

I'm not sure where to even begin reviewing this album. Although it's not my favorite Jews album, it's still in my top 20 of all time. The highlight track of this cd though is the country-influenced song "Tennessee", which just brings me to a state of happiness. Even though I'd rather not admit this, "Room Games and Diamond Rain" and "I Remember Me" both make me an emotional wreck that I never knew I could be.

Alright, that confession took a lot, it's just that the stories spun by lead singer David Berman are just so amazing and beautiful. His soul-penetrating (I really mean this, it's so deep!) voice and his alt-country tinged songs will have you singing along by the end of the cd even though you don't know the words.

What else can I say, David Berman is my hero. Yes, I know it's great to have a former alcoholic who tried to commit suicide as my hero. But seriously, his music connects with me more than any other artist ever, except maybe Love or The Boy Least Likely To. And for all of you that care what Pitchfork says, they gave this album an 8.5.

10 songs, 35 minutes, some great stuff:

I'm gonna love you for a hundred years through suffering and celebration dear



I'd tell you to buy it here, but I want David Berman and co. to keep touring.



Be back tomorrow hopefully, I have to go finish that chemistry lab I was talking about.
-Sean

Comments:
Great collection of Silver Jews, I'd not heard them before, so they've a new fan who'll dash out to buy more of their great music. Many thanks from Johninlondon.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?