Thursday, June 22, 2006

 
I've thought about and I decided we should include suggestions for good books and movies that you should all look into, since (this may come as an astonishment to some of you) music is not the most important thing in life. I mean, it's good and all, it's a wonderful part of life, but you shouldn't let music control your life.

So instead of listening to music today, go read a book, or watch a great movie.

BOOK SUGGESTIONS

How to be Good by Nick Hornby - I'm reading this currently among his many other wonderful books. I enjoy this one in particular for its insightful look at marraiges and the overall struggle that love is. As if I'd know, right?

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer - I actually preferred this one to his other one which happens to be below and very good also. This one has to do with a 9-year-old kid whose Dad died in the World Trade Center on 911. Touching and humorous to say the very least.

Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer - His first novel, which was adapted into a movie. A character who happens to be named Jonathan Safran Foer goes on a quest to find information about a girl he sees in a photograph with his deceased grandfather who escaped Europe for America during the Holocaust. He receives the help of two natives, Alex and his own grandfather. Alex is my favorite character by far, with his attempts upon the English language which left me in a fit of laughter at points. Then there's the whole rotation between different stories. It's brilliant, yes, but it's probably easier to connect to Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close because we've experienced 911, and most of us out here in the blogging world have not experienced the Holocaust.

MOVIES

The Master of the Flying Guillotine - The most kickass early kung-fu movie I've ever seen. The One-Armed Boxer fights the Master of the Flying Guillotine, who happens to be a blind priest. So good.

Hellboy - This movie wasn't very well received by the critics, and I guess the plot is a bit ridiculous, but that's the entire point of it. One of the best comic book movies I've seen in a while.

Better Off Dead - One of John Cusack's earliest roles and his best in my opinion. Oftentimes hilarious, the movie is just a sweet comedy about teenage romance.

I hope I can keep this trend up, leading you to not only good music but also books and movies, hopefully with more in-depth reviews while not giving the entire plots away. I hope you all don't mind, but it seemed like a good idea since I love reading and movies, at least recently. Umm I'll try to be back soon enough as always to satisfy your cultural needs.
-Sean

Comments:
"Hellboy", really?
 
C-R-E-T-I-N
 
Oddly enough, I read a lot of good reviews by Hellboy. It got 79% positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, which is pretty good. And I must politely disagree to something: High Fidelity was John Cusack's best role. If you've never seen it (or read the fantastic book), you really should.

Also, if I may make another recommendation, I bet you anything you'd like the book Black Swan Green by David Mitchell. I just finished it, and it seems pretty coherent with your tastes.

I'll definitely check these books out. I don't like to illegally download musics, so I mostly just use the blog for recommendations, anyway. If it turns out your taste in books and movies is as good as your taste in music that would be just awesome.
 
I like the book and movie reccomendations idea. I might read Everything is Illuminated when I finish A Clockwork Orange.

As for movies, today I watched The City of Lost Children. I hadn't seen it in like 10 years since I was 7 years old, but it's just as cool as I remembered it. You should watch it if you haven't seen it already. It's in French and Jean Paul Gaultier designed the costumes (he also did The Fifth Element). Although it is a fantasy film, it's aimed at a mature audience, I think it is rated R. Visually this film is similar to Dark City, but far superior in my opinion. Anyway the guy from Hellboy is in this (see I do have something to tie in with your post) so you should watch it if you like him, Ron Perlman I think his name is.

(sorry, I know you're the one that's meant to be doing the suggesting but I couldn't help myself)
 
RE: Everything is Illuminated

Did you know this is now a movie starring Eugene Hutz from Gogol Bordello? A fine band and go get the latest album!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?