Saturday, June 24, 2006

 
MUSIC

Frog Eyes - The Future Is Inter-disciplinary Or Not At All

New Frog Eyes EP?!? YEAH MAN.

I've listened to it a ridiculous amount of times the past few weeks, and I really love it. it's a lot more mellow than their previous efforts. 8 songs 17 minutes. This EP has to be thought of in a whole, not just separate songs. Overall, it combines into a beautiful, yet uneased, unity, making it one of the best releases of the year so far. Frog Eyes can be painful, but in their own unique way, they're one of the msot consoling bands I know.

I put it on YouSendIt since it's a fairly new release, so the link will expire soon!

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=1458C6267E9361BB

Buy it here.

BOOKS

You Shall Know Our Velocity! by Dave Eggers - A great book from one of the best and funniest modern day writers. One of my friends who also sometimes writes on this blog(I won't mention any names) has been reading this for the past three years or so. We're starting to think she's dyslexic. Anyways, the book confronts charity, travel, and friendship. All in one. I don't want to ruin it for you, so trust me on this one, it's good.

MOVIES

Battle Royale - Here's the plot summary from IMDB:

"Ninth grade students are taken to a small isolated island with a map, food and various arms. They have to fight each other three days long until the last one remains and are forced to wear a special collar which will explode when they break a rule."

Oh boy, now I know you're dying to see it. I think some of it's kind of inane, but overall I really enjoyed it. It was made in Japan back in 2000, based off a book, and is very popular over there. The story basically revolves around this boy named Shuya Nanahara trying to stay alive while protecting Noriko. It has one of the most badass villians though in Kiriyama, who is a "transfer student" who remains silent throughout the entire movie. It's a good movie and has some killer scenes (literally), and I'm sure there's some overall moral to it, but I can't really figure out what it is.


I hope you guys enjoy this triple onslaught of culture recommendations. As always, I'll try to be back sometime in the Future that Is Inter-disciplinary Or Not At All. I kill myself.
-Sean

Comments:
I second the rec. for YSKOV! (because I have finished it and I am just lazy and have not returned it).

PS- I almost saw "Cars" today. Not even kidding you. I was incredibly close. Like, inside-the-theater kind of close. Just thought I should let you know. Alright.
 
read the battle royale book. it's really long and awesome and kiriyama has the best backstory ever. it's a lot different from the movie.
 
My friends and I drove all the way to the Post Mall to see "A Prairie Home Companion" but it turns out that it wasn't playing. We were really pissed off and we almost went to see "Cars" instead, but then decided that was the worst idea ever. We went to the diner instead (better choice, right?).
 
I'll definitely check out the Dave Eggers book. He's awesome and McSweeney's is my favorite website of all time. I haven't actually read any books of his, but I'll start now, thanks.
 
Yeah I saw the movie, it's pretty good
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?